Thursday, July 29, 2010

WNU-TOOB: KOLCHAK AND THE ROCKFISH

I've got to send out a big thanks to Win Scott Eckert, heir to the Wold Newton throne - as I read his two "Crossovers" books, I'm finding little nuggets of trivia that are a boon to the research that goes into the Toobworld concept.

Toobworld Central has accepted the theory of "soul-clones", first proposed by Wold Newton scholar Chuck Loridans, to splain why there are so many televersions of Dracula. (With the Wold Newton Universe, all of Mankind's fictional universes are combined into one; Toobworld just deals with television.) When I read William S. Baring-Gould's seminal work on Sherlock Holmes back in the 1970's, I accepted his proposal that Nero Wolfe is the son of "The Great Detective" (even though he better resembles brother Mycroft in appearance and intellect). And there's also the "Famous Individual Syndrome", a term I've adapted to "Famous Impostor Syndrome", which splains why there are so many recastaways of historical figures like Doc Holliday and Abraham Lincoln running about the TV Universe.

As I was reading the book on the subway while on my way to work last night, I hit upon another bit o' trivia that serves as a link between two shows - in an episode of 'The Rockford Files', Jimbo worked with Carrie Osgood, a reporter from the Independent News Service. This is the same news organization which employed Carl Kolchak in Chicago. So that brings in 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' series as well as the preceding two TV movies "The Night Stalker" and "The Night Strangler". There must be some fanfic out there that directly unites Kolchak with the Rockfish, isn't there?

Thanks again, Win!

BCnU!

No comments: