Friday, June 5, 2009

TOOBWORLD: ON BROADWAY!

Despite my fondness for Megyn Price, I had never seen an episode of 'Rules Of Engagement' before. The original previews for the show just smacked of the type of sitcom I just don't have the tolerance for anymore (except for 'The Big Bang Theory' and 'Two And A Half Men'). The ones I do watch now? Besides those first two examples, there are 'My Boys', 'HIMYM', '30 Rock', 'Z Rock', and 'Better Off Ted'. I guess 'Krod Mandoon' too if it comes back.....

Anyhoo, this week I caught a repeat episode because I saw that it would concern going to the theater. And I thought - what the bleep; might as well see if there's anything in this for Toobworld.....

So first off, I have a question, since I don't watch this series..... Does it take place in the NYC area? Everything seemed to lead me to that conclusion - the mention of the theatre district, a yearly boat show, Megyn Price is a magazine editor.....

I just want to make sure.

Because there were three major discrepancies between Toobworld and the real world with this episode!

1] "Wicked" is playing at a Lyric Theatre. The official Lyric Theatre of Manhattan was on 42nd Street but was transformed into a cinema in the 1930's. There's one in Battery Park and one in Brooklyn as well. But in the real world, "Wicked" is playing at the gargantuan Gershwin theatre on W. 50th Street... and has a far more grandiose marquee than seen in this show!

On 'Ugly Betty', Daniel took an advertiser to see "Wicked" on Broadway and you KNEW that was the Gershwin! So for Toobworld purposes, "Wicked" finally moved to a smaller theater, which sometimes happens in the real world. And should a series ever show it again at the Gershwin, we can just say that in Toobworld it moved for restoration purposes....

2] Instead of the official magazine for the theatre-goer being "Playbill", Audrey and Russell and the other people in the audience can be seen reading and clutching their copies of "Castbill". Let's hope that little prop nugget gets used again in some other show! 3] When Jeff finds out that Audrey is seeing shows with Russell, they're at a showing of a new Stephen Sondheim musical called "Bound For Broadway". (Russell mentioned that a problem with these Sondheim shows is that he doesn't write any intermissions anymore - always good for a bathroom break!

BCnU!




No comments: