Saturday, April 18, 2009

MURDER BY ONOMOTOPEIA

My thumb was ready to either click "Play" or "Erase" on my DVR for the first episode of 'Harper's Island' today. It had been over a week since it aired and I had not yet seen it, and didn't know whether I really wanted to.

Well, I ended up watching it and I have to say, I admire the cujones for that fake-out at the end of the episode. Very Hitchcockian in style, so far as catching me off-guard due to star power.

So now I'm thinking I'm in it for the next eleven weeks, just to see them all go - as the little girl says in the blipvert: "One by one, one by one....."

I checked epguides.com for the upcoming episodes and, much to my delight, there's a theme to the titles of each episode. I LOVE title themes! "First", "Affair", "Steele", "Brief", "Red", "The So-And-So Story", The Case Of...." and "The Night Of...."

But these had to be the most unusual yet:

"Whap"
"Crackle"
"Ka-Blam"
"Bang"
"Fwhoopt"

It's almost as if they've been lifted from the Don Martin Glossary of Sound Effects!
I'm hoping before the run is over, there'll be a "Thwapt" and an "El Kabong".....

BCnU!
Toby O'B

No comments: