Monday, April 20, 2009

AS SEEN ON TV: THE BEALES OF GREY GARDENS

HBO premiered a new version of 'Grey Gardens' this week, starring Jessica Lange as Edith Bouvier Beale and Drew Barrymore as her daughter, "Litlle Edie". The real-life story of these two women who were kin to Jackie Kennedy, and of the decaying old mansion in which they lived with nearly feral cats and even raccoons, was first chronicled in a documentary by the Maysles brothers. Much later, it became a Broadway musical with Christine Ebersole and Mary Louise Wilson.

BCnU!
Toby O'B

1 comment:

MYGREYGARDENS said...

I was told right after filming of the HBO film wrapped up in the fall of 2007, that I would be blown away at the last scene, where Edie sings Tea For Two at Reno Sweeny, and I was ! I had supplied the film company with the only recording in existence of Edie singing the tune, only this wasn't from her actual performance at the club, but rather her singing it just for me at one of my many visits to Grey Gardens. Drew sang it exactly, phrase for phrase as I have it on tape. Edie and I actually met that night at Reno Sweeny, and my relationship with Grey Gardens has now spanned over 3 decades. For our complete review, check out our blog at MyGreyGardens.com (HBO film review by Robb Brawn & Lee Arboreen), and be sure to check our Youtube video uploaded 4/18/09 the same day as the HBO film release. Click
GREY GARDENS PROMO to view the video