Monday, January 19, 2009

A 'thirtySOMETHING' FLASHBACK

I've started getting an e-newsletter from a group called CliqueClaque TV; pretty interesting stuff and I'm enjoying it so far.

The latest edition contained a remembrance of 'thirtySOMETHING' and linked to a youtube clip from the show, a real gut-wrenching moment from the episode in which everybody found out the happy news that Nancy was cancer free.

I never saw the show when it originally ran on ABC; instead I watched it on a daily basis when it went into syndication on Lifetime. And I became addicted; these were people that for a brief time became a part of my life. Back during a time in TV viewing when the characters I used to "hang around with" were a little more based in reality than at most other times in my so-called life.

And when I first saw this scene, it hit me as hard as the time when Jean Grey as the Dark Phoenix was neutralized in 'The X-Men' comics; when Gandalf faced the Balrog on the Khazad-dum bridge in "The Fellowship Of The Ring"; when James Garner as 'Nichols' faced off against a drunk cowboy in the show's final episode... and I didn't even get the chance to see that one happen!

Here's the link to the clip, if you want to see it. It's the type of moment that unfortunately can happen to any of us, unlike those examples above. If you've seen the series, you'll know what it's about. And the name of the clip will give it away as well. If you don't want to know, just in case there's ever a chance it might show up as a DVD collection someday, then I'd suggest not clicking on the link.

BCnU!
Toby O'B

No comments: