Thursday, November 23, 2006

A BARTLET PAIR?

For most of its first season so far, I've had no problem with the idea of 'Studio 60' existing in Earth Prime-Time, the main Toobworld. Well, maybe except for the fact that those lousy comedy sketches could be considered genius writing par excellence.

This would be in contrast to Aaron Sorkin's last show, 'The West Wing', which had to be shunted off to its own dimension since their President was Jed Bartlet, and not Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, as it has been in the main Toobworld.

But that may have to change. Apparently, in one of the dressings rooms backstate at the inner 'Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip', a "Bartlet 4 America" poster was hanging on the wall.

I say "Apparently", because even though I saw the episode, I didn't notice it. And in this Luddite house where I'm spending Thanksgiving week, I can't record anything!

So for now, I may have to take it on faith that the poster did appear. And I'm not sure if the blogger who posted this report was spelling it correctly or not, but he had it as "Bartlett 4 America".

If that was truly how it was spelled, it could provide an out for Toobworld: President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet spelled his name with only one "t" at the end. Therefore, this "Bartlett" could be an entirely different politician and thus he could be in Earth Prime-Time rather than Earth Prime-Time/Jed.

And that would allow 'Studio 60' to remain in the main Toobworld... for better or worse.........

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

3 comments:

WordsSayNothing said...

Or perhaps, in Earth Prime-Time, The West Wing is a TV show that aired on NBC, much like it did in reality, and a cast or crewmember of the sketch comedy show Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a fan of the NBC show. I'm sure someone out there produced mock Bartlet campaign signs during the run of the show.

Brent McKee said...

The sign is seen in the Green Room scene where Simon and Tom are talking about how Harriet shouldn't do the lingerie ad because among other things she offers the show cover, allowing them to criticize the religious right. It's seen in soft focus at a pretty acute angle, but yeah, it's Bartlet with one "T". Which in it's own way is pretty amusing, since Jed Bartlet is (according to "The West Wing") a direct descendant of the New Hampshire delegate who signed the Declaration of Independence and old Josiah signed his name with two Ts - Josiah Bartlett.

Toby O'B said...

I think I'm going to go with the idea that 'Studio 60' does take place in the same dimension as 'The West Wing'.

I did a Google image search using both titles as the search terms and quickly found the picture of the poster.

As for posters here in the Real World, I'll bet there are some out there. I know there are campaign buttons to be found!