Tuesday, September 26, 2017

TWO FOR TUESDAY - TWO SAM FRANKLINS! UM, PLUS ONE.....


Those in Team Toobworld who have been following me for awhile know that I'm O'Bsessive over the tiniest trivial details to be found in TV shows.

But I'm just one guy; I'm not Argus Panoptes - I am not all-seeing.  And so a lot of stuff will slip by me - even in episodes which I watch over and over again.

Thankfully, I'm not alone in actually paying attention to the details.  

And that's why Toobworld Central is tipping the Topper today to Stuart Robertson.

I'll let Stuart share his discovery: 



Check out the autograph on the photo on the wall in "Exercise In Fatality". Hospital waiting room scene.

Sam Franklin.

Possibly the same artist Sam Franklin from "Suitable For Framing".

What do you think?

I think it's a fantastic find!  Sure, I'm usually looking for the connections which can be made between TV series, but just as important are the links forged between the episodes of a show which strengthen its sense of its own history.

I've had my eye on Sam Franklin in the past (although that striped tank top makes me want to look away.)  He shares the same name as a certain butcher also in Los Angeles....


I'm thinking that both men were related; that they shared a common ancestor, a grand-father perhaps, with the same name.  And that Sam Franklin must have done something in Toobworld's past which would warrant his family in honoring him, not just once but twice over.

And it could even be that it was such an extraordinary thing which the elder Sam Franklin did, that other, unrelated Franklin families thought his name would be an honor in their family ranks.  (One such Sam Franklin was a former multi-millionaire who spent the last of his fortune to buy the London-based Hotel Babylon located somewhere near Piccadilly Circus.)

We could even claim theoretical links to other shows from just the paintings seen in the backgrounds of other TV series, if they resemble the artistic style of Sam Franklin the painter.  (Not the butcher.)  Who knows?  If I find enough of such examples and can make the unassailable case for them being the work of Sam Franklin, he might even one day find himself in the TV Crossover Hall of Fame.


Not that I'm actually going to search Toobworld for pictures that look like THAT!

So here’s to you, Stuart Robinson.  (Sorry. I felt a song going off….) Thank you for finding Sam’s signature on that painting.

My thanks again to Stuart Robertson for sparking this post!

BCnU!



No comments: