Saturday, January 1, 2011

THE DOCTOR AND SHERLOCK - NEVER THE TWAIN.....



Now if only they could have a crossover! But with 'Doctor Who', it's more likely that one day he would meet Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The Doctor might even have been the impetus for Conan Doyle to return to writing the adventures of the Great Detective......

UPDATE:

The New York Times put the question to Steven Moffat if his two big franchise characters will have a crossover......

Q. Are you being asked all the time when the Doctor and your Sherlock Holmes will meet up?

A. I think everyone who’s passing me in the streets is suggesting that at the moment. I think there are problems of doing that, because then you would say that Sherlock Holmes lives in the same world as the Doctor, and there are Daleks and all sorts of things. If a Sherlock Holmes story depends on time travel being impossible, it’s quite hard if he’s a personal friend of the Doctor’s, isn’t it?

Again, it's not impossible, as the Doctor should be able to traverse relative dimensions in Space and go to an alternate world where that Sherlock Holmes exists. But I'm glad it won't happen, because the Doctor should be meeting Jeremy Brett's version of the Great Detective and sadly, that will never happen.

And besides, I'm rather fond of my own little theory about 'Sherlock' and it's place in the tele-mosaic of the TV Universe.....

BCnU!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer that if the Doctor were to meet Sherlock Holmes, he would me a Victorian era one. However, the Doctor does travel to alternate realities occasionally, and if the crossover did happen, I would have to think that this was a case of the Doctor travelling to an alternate universe. Besides, I would imagine that Sherlock is not part of Earth-Prime Time, but perhaps the Smallville/West Wing universe.

Toby O'B said...

Actually I've placed it in a manufactured Limbo similar to the ones in 'Lost' and 'Ashes To Ashes'. I really have to write that one out....

Robert E. "Robyn" Wronski, Jr. said...

This is the same dilemma that kept the Batman: Dark Knight films from merging with Superman Returns to make a World's Finest film. It was hard to place that version of Batman into a world with a Superman and still keep the reality of that Batman.