Sunday, March 21, 2010

SPRINGTIME FOR PRIME-TIME

When I was in sixth grade, I discovered Edith Hamilton and her re-telling of the Greek myths. I never knew about the Greek gods before and they capture my imagination. I used to say that it was Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' that first ensnared me in my love for fantasy, but now I have to say it was 'Hamilton's Mythology'.

I started handing out Greek gods for all of my classmates - the alpha male being Zeus, his girl friend was Hera, etc., with me being Hermes. (I've always had a soft spot for the Tricksters, probably starting with Bunny Rabbit on 'Captain Kangaroo'.) This fascination with Greek gods did not go over well with the nun I had for that grade.....

Anyhoo, in Greek mythology, everything has its own god or is even personified. And one of those personifications was represented in Toobworld, making her an appropriate "goddess" to talk about today.


March 20th was the first day of Spring, 2010, and in Toobworld, the personification of Springtime was the mother of an apprentice grim reaper named 'Mulberry' (from an eponymous British sitcom). Mulberry's father was Death himself, who despaired that his son would never get the hang of the family trade. But at least he understood why Mulberry was so,,, well, flighty. It was that side of his mother's nature which he inherited.

The union of Death and Spring sounds as if it was short-lived, and that she was not Death's first mistress. This is why 'Mulberry' is a Toobworld essential - it gives us a splainin for why Death never looks the same from TV show to TV show (aside from the boring real world splainin of recasting.) Death has many sons to carry on his work, and on occasion, a daughter as well.

But it's Springtime; we shouldn't be concerned with Death....

Springtime was only seen in the last episode of the series; she was portrayed by Silvia Sims (of whom I have yet to find a picture of in the role.) But whenever I picture her, she also resembles my vision of Goldberry, from the first book in "The Lord Of The Rings", "The Fellowship Of The Ring"......

Your visions may vary.......

BCnU!

2 comments:

Sean Cleary said...

Woohoo!
I am Tom Bombadil !!!

Toby O'B said...

Down, boy! Don't make me tranq you... again.