Friday, March 26, 2010

CROSSING OVER ROBERT CULP

Three times over, Robert Culp is eligible for the TV Crossover Hall of Fame. As a member of the League of Themselves, Culp appeared in three TV programs as his fictional televersion:

"The Jack Benny Program"
- The Airport (1957)

"Law & Order"
- D-Girl (1997)
"The Chris Isaak Show"
- Isaakland (2002)

His first major character on TV will in fact be inducted this summer as a tip of the Stetson to Mr. Culp. Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman was introduced in an episode of 'Zane Grey Theater', had his own series with 'Trackdown', and he was instrumental in introducing bounty hunter Josh Randall to Toobworld. (Randall, played by Steve McQueen, would go on to star in his own series, 'Wanted: Dead Or Alive'.)
As for his most famous Toobworld character, Kelly Robinson of 'I Spy', that would be an honors list induction. He played the character in the series 'I Spy', and in the reunion movie "I Spy Returns". He also played it in the sketch comedy universe of Skitlandia on 'Saturday Night Live' with Eddie Murphy imitating Bill Cosby in his role of Alexander Scott.
Mr. Culp also played Kelly Robinson in a dream sequence on 'Cosby' back in 1999, which caused a big Zonk since Hilton Lucas talked about the TV show of 'I Spy'. But I think I have a way to disable that Zonk. It just came to me, so I need to polish it up before I post it.
Once these three characters are eventually inducted into the TV Crossover Hall of Fame, it wouldn't make for any world's record for Mr. Culp. Lucille Ball had four successive entries into the Hall back in 2000 - her three major TV characters plus herself (all part of the year-long salute to women in TV).

But he may be able to tie her record (if not her speed in getting all four inductions) if I can work up a plausible splainin for Trent, "The Demon With A Glass Hand" which Robert Culp played in an episode of 'The Outer Limits'. It would definitely have to be on the Birthdays Honor List.....
BCnU!

PS:
Don't worry about the 'Match Game' photo. It's not being used as a qualification for entry. I just liked Mr. Culp's expression.....

No comments: