Sunday, April 1, 2018

THE PLAY'S THE THING: WAITING FOR GODOT




Staged performances of Samuel Beckett's classic "Waiting For Godot" have been presented on television since at least 1961.

I've seen the New York production which starred Robin Williams and Steve Martin with F. Murray Abraham and Bill Irwin at Lincoln Center.  And I've seen a poor copy of the production with Burgess Meredith and Zero Mostel.  In Toobworld, an all-female version of the play was mounted back in the Swingin' Seventies, as seen in an episode of 'Swingtown'.  


But I think my favorite version had to be a pretty shoddy video made by an acting company back in 1966.  The company was located in a suburb of Los Angeles.  Many of the actors were well-known for their character work in movies and TV and were probably doing these plays for shits and giggles.

In this case, Estragon was played by Stubby Kaye and Vladimir by Arthur Hunnicutt.

I cobbled together this picture of the close-ups of both actors since shots containing them both were so washed out.  


I should have bought that copy of the play when I had the chance back in the early 1980s.  I was a fool to think a better copy might come up some day....

BCnU!

No comments: