Friday, June 6, 2014

TVXOHOF, BIRTHDAY HONORS LIST 2014 - MISS ELLIE (OF DOWNTON, NOT DALLAS)


All this year we are inducting TV characters into the TV Crossover Hall Of Fame who might not otherwise have been eligible thanks to Inner Toob's blog celebration of its anniversary.

But this choice might be so controversial, I think it best to induct her as my nominee from the Birthday Honors List.

When Jerome Kern’s song, "Look for the Silver Lining", was played in an episode of 'Downton Abbey', Matthew Crawley said: ‘I think it’s from a flop, "Zip Goes A Million".’ 


That production did not even open – in faraway Worcester, Massachusetts, – until seven months later. 

Marion Harris' recording of this song was (anachronistically) featured in a memorable dance scene between Lady Mary and Matthew Crawley in the popular Masterpiece Classic series "Downton Abbey". 

The scene can be viewed in Episode 8 of Series 2 where the plot-line reached early-to-mid 1919; however, the recording was not made until 29 December 1920. 


"The real problem is with people who are insecure socially, and they think to show how smart they are by picking holes in the programme to promote their own poshness and to show that their knowledge is greater than your knowledge," Julian Fellows once said. 

Boo hoo.

I've made theoretical connections for DOWNTON ABBEY with HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL, RUMPOLE OF THE BAILEY, SCOTT & BAILEY, and a handful of TV series which featured fictional UK newspapers of the time. But I've wanted to find a connection to DOCTOR WHO. (Hey, it's me; O'Bviously I'm going to look for links to the Doctor with every TV show!) 

Well I think I finally found one, but through the TORCHWOOD back door. And via a character we never get to meet in either show.....


I think Lavinia's cousin who gave her a gramophone as a wedding present was named Ellie. And that she was the former girlfriend of WWI soldier Tommy Bockless ("To The Last Man"). 



TOSH: You had a girlfriend? In 1918.
TOMMY: Yeah. Ellie. We courted for two years.
TOSH: What happened?
TOMMY: I, er, stopped seeing her last time I was home on leave. The war changed me. I couldn't just carry on like before.


Furthermore, she may have met the First Doctor and Susan during the zeppelin air raids of 1915 ("Planet of Giants") which could have led to her becoming a Companion to the Seventh or Eighth Doctor (more room for fanfic around those two) at least between 1918 and April 1919. 

The Eighth Doctor meets Ellie Swire?

Why would I think that? Because of that gramophone record she gave to Lavinia and Matthew.  That record, to which Matthew and Mary danced and kissed, would not be produced for another year. Where did the cousin get it if not during her travels with a Time Lord?

I'd like to think Ellie Swire was in this parade of young ladies.....

So....
  • 'Downtown Abbey'
  • 'Torchwood'
  • 'Doctor Who'
That may be only three TV series but that's all that's required for inclusion into the Television Crossover Hall of Fame.  

Welcome to the Hall of Fame, Miss Ellie!

Not too shabby at the Abbey for a TV character who was never seen at all!

BCnU!

No comments: