Tuesday, February 12, 2013

TELE-QUICKIES: OUT-REACH PROGRAM


I watched the first episode of 'Zero Hour' online Sunday night. I think it will play a major role in the expansion of Toobworld - for the length of time it remains on the air. We'll see.

But at one point early on, the assistant to Anthony Edwards' character mentioned an "intellectual reach-around."

I can't be certain, but I'm thinking that had to be the first time on broadcast TV (not cable, not premium) that the word "reach-around" was used......

I went looking for an appropriate picture to use for this post, one that was not only Toob-worthy, but safe!

 Here's what I found:


BCnU!

4 comments:

Brent McKee said...

Wrong! Check out the Gilbert and Sullivan pastiche that they did as the finale of the second episode of Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip. The ladies of the show (including Harriet Hayes) sing:
"We'll happ'ly do the favor of an intellectual reach around!"

And the Chorus responds:
"They'll happ'ly do the favor of an intellectual reach around
They'll happ'ly do the favor of an intellectual reach around
They'll happ'ly do the favor of a hundred-dollar hooker's reach around!"

Toby O'B said...

Thanks for that, Brent. But I'm hoping you did the research. You didn't actually remember that, did you?

Brent McKee said...

Actually I did remember it (though I needed help as to the exact lines from the Chorus). There are several reasons for this. First, I have an extremely good memory for some things including interesting bits from TV scripts that I like. Second I was and am a big fan of Studio 60; Sorkin and other might have considered it poor but poor Sorkin is better than the best of a lot of writers.

Toby O'B said...

Facebook has ruined me. I keep looking for the Like button. Thanks, Brent!