Monday, December 12, 2011

"THE PUNCHLINE THAT NEVER WAS"

Immersed as deeply as I am in writing about Toobworld, I find it affecting me and how I view the world, to the point where even my dreams are about the TV Universe, sometimes even with end credits.

I hear a character's name on TV and I begin calculating the family tree, linking him to other TV characters with that name. I envision what happens to those walk-ons who enter a scene, and where did they come from in the first place?

And I won't get into elevators with pregnant women.

So it's nice to find out that I'm not the only one who goes through this.....

Yesterday, after we ran around taking care of errands and then, to get our minds off a failed attempt at recording the audio-play the previous evening, we stayed in to watch various things on television.

After watching documentaries about slasher movies, holocaust atrocities, serial murderers, Michael Powell’s ‘Peeping Tom’, and the eighth Harry Potter film, I turned to a later episode of ‘Soap’. One of the characters was carrying a roast or something from an oven and all the other characters were talking about it.

Anyhoo, I don’t remember it being funny at all, but the audience was laughing at all the appropriate cues. I kept waiting for the audience to get the joke that I was in on. I grew frustrated with the audience missing the great big and obvious punch-line.

Then I thought, “Oh well, the audience is just not understanding that the roast in the pan is actually a human torso.”

Oops! It wasn’t a human rib cage at all. It was just me. Goes to show you how twisted my mind was, by the end of the day.
- Pat Coleman
Rude House Studio
http://www.youtube.com/user/RudeHouseStudio

No comments: