Thursday, October 21, 2010

THIS WEEK'S TELEFLUVIA

I nearly threw up while watching 'Raising Hope' last week. I love the show, but the visual of Jimmy Chance pulling out his hair and then eating it wasn't very compatible to having dinner at the same time......
~
According to 'How I Met Your Mother', you're not a true New Yorker until 1] you've stolen a cab from somebody else, 2] cried on the subway and didn't give a damn what everybody else thought, and 3] killed a cockroach with your bare hand. In the thirty-three years I've lived here, I've only done one of those things. And I've never seen either Woody Allen or Maury Povich around town.....

However, last night I saw Lily Tomlin at the performance of 'La Cage Aux Folles' on Broadway (starring TV vets Kelsey Grammer, Fred Applegate, and Alyce Beasley). My friend Mark spoke to her after the show; I hope she appreciated how much she meant to his life back in his teen years.....
~
It certainly didn't do 'The Whole Truth' any good that the Chilean miners were rescued. ABC bumped the show off the air for a special report with Diane Sawyer......
~
I know this is going to sound racist, but one reason white guys are hired more often to play spies is because they can blend in better for most situations around the world. Even if there were black Irish prisoners in Mountjoy Prison, isn't Boris Kodjoe TOO noticeable? Anybody else who had been in that prison at the same time he claimed to be would surely have remembered a guy who looked like him!
~
Thank you, '30 Rock', for the live shows. More grist for the Inner Toob mill!
~
I really enjoyed 'Rubicon' on AMC. I only wish that it had been a guaranteed one season series so that they had an end game in place to wrap everything up. It's the type of show in which the longer it goes on, the less believable it will probably become. I would have been sorry if I never got the chance to see characters like Kale Ingram and Truxton Spengler again, but that would have been off-set by a memorable conclusion to the series. ('The Prisoner' is the example I hold up.)

I wish 'The Sopranos' had been like that. Imagine that first year wrapped up with Tony actually smothering his mother to death. How powerful would that show have been? Instead, it kept coming back for more seasons, and in my opinion (and I realize I'm in the minority), it just kept diminishing in quality and believability.
~
The As Seen On TV showcase for Thursday was Senator Richard Russell. Wright King looked nothing like the historical figure, however. The man they should have cast was just making inroads into the business at the time - David Ogden Stiers. The role of Senator Russell was a small one and Stiers wasn't a name yet, so it would have been perfect.

BCnU!

No comments: