Thursday, September 22, 2005

"LOST" IN THOUGHT O'BSERVATIONS

Now that I have to wait until the day after Christmas - well, actually for me, probably a week after that! - for the 'Doctor Who' Christmas special, I can go back now to fixating on my other TV obsession: "Lost".

The second season premiere "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith" didn't waste any time, picking up probably no more than a minute before the first season finale. And from there, the show gave every indication that there will be no curse of a sophomore slump.

As you might expect, since the season premiere was broadcast only last night - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS BELOW!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



A techno-wiz on one of the message boards for 'Lost', who goes by the name of Broccoli Man took the sampling of what Walt was saying and then remixed it to play backwards. And that's how it makes sense.

Walt Forward:
http://_lost.visaliarealestate.org/waltforward.mp3
Walt Backward:
http://_lost.visaliarealestate.org/waltbackwards.mp3
The two back to back (forwardbackward)
http://_lost.visaliarealestate.org/walt.mp3

"Broccoli Man" - no relation to my friend Asparaguy - remixed his samplings and got the following:
forward:

http://_lost.visaliarealestate.org/waltforward2.mp3
backward:
http://_lost.visaliarealestate.org/waltbackwards2.mp3

Also he got the whisperers before Shannon saw Walt. It was indescript except at the very end, where it says "Shannon".

http://_lost.visaliarealestate.org/whispers.mp3

It's my thinking that the one lone, most intelligible whisper of "Shannon" was from the ghost of Boone, but what do I know? I'm just along for the ride.

Not that you can tell anything useful about it, but Broccoli Man also remixed the whispers backwards:

http://_lost.visaliarealestate.org/whispersbackwards.mp3

~~~~~
It always leaves me uneasy whenever Claire Littleton is not in an episode. I just get a bad feeling about the eventual fate of the character. And the fact that Emilie de Ravin did not appear in the season premiere certainly compounded that.

I'd think that with her baby Aaron as possibly a major factor on the island, the producers would have at least included her in a crowd shot in the caves.
~~~~~~
We did get another Mama in the episode though: Mama Cass! Her recording of "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" easily is the best use of a pop song in a techno-cavern since 'The Prisoner' filled its underground headquarters with juke boxes playing "All You Need Is Love".

The song opened and closed the episode and made for a startling, refreshing comment on Destiny, which is the major contention between Jack and Locke:

You're gonna be nowhere
The loneliest kind of lonely
It may be rough going
Just to do your thing's the hardest thing to do
But you've gotta make your own kind of music
Sing your own special song
Make your own kind of music
Even if nobody else sings along

~~~~~~~~
I'm grateful there are message boards to visit for this show. Usually I avoid such places so that my own Toobworld theories can be free and clear, all my own.

But 'Lost' is so densely packed with symbols, coincidences, and trivia, sometimes - most of the time! - it sails right past me.

Luckily there are the "Others" who find these things for me.

Among those things this week:
The name of the patient who died in the ER because Jack chose to work on Sarah was "Rutherford".

As in "Shannon Rutherford"?

Could it be that he was her father, the man who married Boone's mother?

Did Jack pick up on that possibility? Was that an added reason - not that he would have needed one - as to why he worked so hard to save Boone's life?
~~~~~~~~
It occurs to me that we never got a proper "Shannon-centric" episode last season, while some - like Jack and Kate, etc. - got more than one. The best we got was her addition to Boone's flashback episode, which makes me think that Ian Somerhalder will be needed when they finally do an episode for her.

Or maybe not.
~~~~~~~
Another possibility from The Fuselage (the official board from the show's creators) -
A character named Desmond might now start appearing in many of the flashbacks for the other characters as well.
~~~~~~
One of my own little contributions to the board - Could there have been something in that water bottle which Desmond offered to Jack during one of the flashbacks?
~~~~~~
Temptation overcame me this week and I read every spoiler I could find. Considering how many people who had seen the sneak peak on the beach in Oahu last week, there were plenty and all were quite detailed.

Not that it spoiled the episode for me. Even though I knew what was coming, I still was pulled in and my attention held without mercy. (At one point, I needed to pee and the commercial break seemed too long a wait before I went!)

But even so, I've already made the vow - to avoid the spoilers until after I watch the program.
~~~~~~
Even though it's on the same network as 'Lost', I think 'Invasion' might suffer the same fate as 'The West Wing' did last season. That is, - at least for me! - I was still too keyed up in what I had just seen on 'Lost' to watch another show. I needed to get online and talk about it.

So last season I taped 'The West Wing' for eventual viewing as I wasn't about to give that up.

I taped 'Invasion' as well, but I'm not sure I'm going to find it can hold my attention after 'Lost'.

Anyway, those are my first impressions about the seasn premiere....

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

No comments: