Thursday, September 22, 2005

LEAGUE OF THEMSELVES: KEVIN SMITH

Kevin Smith. Director. Writer. Actor.

Future member of the TV Crossover Hall of Fame, League of Themselves Wing.

Tonight, Kevin Smith, director of 'Clerks', completed the trifecta needed to qualify for induction into the TV Crossover Hall of Fame.

Recently, he played himself in three episodes of 'Degrassi: The Next Generation' - "West End Girls" and "Goin' Down the Road: Parts 1 & 2". And over a year ago, he also appeared as himself in an episode of 'Yes, Dear' entitled "The Premiere". But tonight he got that all-important third series - the season premiere of 'Joey'.

Too bad this show smells like over-ripe cheese in Lance Armstrong's sneaker.

I gave up on it last season even before something better came along with 'Jake In Progress' on ABC. But faced with a variety of so-called reality competition shows and the premiere of 'Everybody Hates Chris' (which I had already seen on DVD), I decided to give it another shot.

After all, the producers promised that they had overhauled it.

Didn't I learn anything from Bialystock & Bloom? Liars!

I kept thinking, as I rocked myself incessantly to prevent me from gnawing my own foot off, that it wouldn't be much longer. It was, after all, only a half-hour sitcom.

And then I discovered that it was a double-header two-parter. And Job thought he had it tough!

By that point, I realized there was a chance to see Kevin Smith appear in the episode. There was no turning back then; not if I wanted to keep my accreditation as a televisiologist.

I just had to lie back and think of Toobworld.

So, Kevin Smith is an elite member of the League of Themselves, and will one day be inducted into the TV Crossover Hall of Fame.

And 'Joey'? Still stinks on ice.

There you have it, America!

BCnU!
Tele-Toby

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We saw about 5 minutes and turned it off. Partly because it looked like same old same old from last season and partly because we spent the night doing laundry and packing.

I.V.