Monday, April 22, 2019

FLORENCE MacMICHAEL - NEXT STOP, "THE TWILIGHT ZONE"


'THE TWILIGHT ZONE'
"MR. BEVIS"


This is one of my favorite episodes of 'The Twilight Zone' because I identify with James B.W. Bevis.  Orson Bean dominates the episode but two acclaimed character actors - Henry Jones and Charles Lane - also get their fair share of screen time.  Even in smaller roles Horace McMahon and William Schallert get their turn in the spotlight.

So if you didn't notice Florence MacMichael as Margaret, Mr. Bevis' only friend in the accounting office, you could probably be excused.

As I said, she was Bevis' only friend there at work.  And I think she was sweet on him.  I believe that had he landed a quarter on its side when he bought a newspaper from a street vendor, he might have been able to read her mind and so realize how much she truly cared for him. 

Life after prime-time.....

I would not be surprised if they eventually did find each other romantically entwined, although Margaret probably had to make the first move.

Would they have gotten married?  I don't see any real roadblock to their union.  Margaret would certainly have known his peccadilloes and even so she would have loved him for who he was - an individual. 

By 2010, it's my belief that Mr. Bevis had moved to Ledworth, England, and had been working as an accountant for the local hospital.  Why he would abandon his homeland?  It could have been because of a major upheaval in his life, something not even a guardian angel could have prevented.  So if he had married Margaret, perhaps she finally passed away. 

Why did I theorize he was in England by 2010?  Well, you'll have to go back to the "Who's On First" bogAthon for this year to find out!

If I hold to this theory for Toobworld, this will be one of those times when the character didn't live as long as the actor who played them (if they survived the broadcast, that is.)

BCnU!

No comments: