Tuesday, December 11, 2018

SUPER SIX LIST - "DOCTOR WHO" & "SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE"



It was twenty years ago today that Oscar-winning “Shakespeare In Love” opened in general release here in the United States.  My brother Bill and I watched it over the weekend and had fun pointing out the actors we would come to know better in later roles.  Both of us came away with ideas for lists – he’s going to post a “Morning 5” list of Oscar winners in the movie for the newspaper where he’s the editor.  For me, it’s a Super Six List.

As I mentioned earlier, several actors were not familiar to me at the time.  Among them are Mark Williams, whom I later came to know from the “Harry Potter” franchise as well as the ‘Father Brown’ series and Martin Clunes – I had yet to see ‘Doc Martin’. There was even one I knew very well but didn’t recognize (and he wasn’t credited) – John Inman, Mr. Humphries of ‘Are You Being Served?’, who was playing Juliet’s mother Lady Capulet in the play within a play.

So here is my Super Six List – six of the actors in “Shakespeare In Love” who would also play roles in my favorite TV series, ‘Doctor Who’.  I have them listed by actor name with their “SIL” role in parentheses, followed by their role in the long-running sci-fi/fantasy series.


1]  Simon Callow (Master of the Revels Tilney)
as Charles Dickens
- The Unquiet Dead (2005) 
- The Wedding of River Song (2011)

O’Bservation:
Mr. Callow is a member of the Television Crossover Hall of Fame for his portrayal of the Victorian author, not just in ‘Doctor Who’ but also in several TV movies.


2]  Martin Clunes (Richard Burbage)
as Lon
- Snakedance: Part One (1983)
- Snakedance: Part Two (1983)
- Snakedance: Part Three (1983)
- Snakedance: Part One (1983) 

O’Bservation:
Of these six, Clunes is the only one who appeared in the original run of the series.


3]  Mark Williams (Wabash)
as Brian Williams
- Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (2012) 
- The Power of Three (2012)


4]  Imelda Staunton (Viola’s Nurse)
as Voice of the Computer Interface
- The Girl Who Waited (2011)

O’Bservation:
I never noticed the credit for this role.  It could be that by this point, I really do believe I’m listening to the voice of a computer in shows!  And I’m not that familiar with Ms. Staunton’s voice.  But my nephew who is a fan of the “Harry Potter” movies, guessed right away that this was the actress who played Mrs. Umbridge.


5]  Barnaby Kay (Nol)
as Heidi
- The Girl Who Died (2015) 


6]  Nicholas Boulton (Henry Condell)
as Businessman
- Gridlock (2007)

Consider this a taste of the “Who’s On First?” blogathon on New Year’s Day.

Exeunt, followed by a death-eyed turtle….



No comments: