Monday, September 17, 2018

MONDAY MINUTIAE - A SUPER SIX LIST OF NAMES


Just a little something to keep the theme chugging along and to give me a grace period to continue writing the longer posts about soap operas......

I'm a connoisseur of names; it may be a reason why I first answered the call of Fantasy.  And the soap operas gave me some great ones to savor.  I didn't watch many soap operas, so I don't have an extensive knowledge of their "tele-folks directory", but these names always stood out for me....

1]  MIKKOS CASSADINE

('GENERAL HOSPITAL')
What can I say?  I like the bad guys!  And this name trumpeted the darkness and elegance within his soul.

2]  SKY WHITNEY
('THE EDGE OF NIGHT')

I will admit that this is a classic example of confusing the actor with the character - I keep thinking his name was Sky Larkin, combining the character's first name with the first name of the actor who played him, Larkin Malloy. I don't know, maybe my version is better.  But even so Sky Whitney was a name that oozed "cool" to me.

3]  ROBERT SCORPIO
('GENERAL HOSPITAL'
& 'NIGHT SHIFT')

Could they have come up with a better name to suggest an international man of mystery? 

4]  ASA BUCHANAN
('ONE LIFE TO LIVE')

I don't think I'll ever see that first name of Asa again.  I can't envision anybody daring to use it.  Philip Carey made it his own, the perfect name for a cowboy in the modern world.

5]  LAUREN FENIMORE
('THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS'
& 'THE BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL')

I wasn't that much of a fan of the character, but she was a hell of a lot better than her arch-enemy Sheila Carter!  And she sported a better moniker as well.  Just something about it flows.  (Her married names kind of throw the rhythm off though when they're tacked on.)

6]  SALLY SPECTRA
('THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL')

A bold name for a big and brassy broad made immortal by Darlene Conley.  One day she'll make it into the TV Crossover Hall of Fame as an honorary multidimensional - Ms. Spectra showed up in two American soap operas and in an international part of Skitlandia, still played by Ms. Conley.

Until next time......


No comments: