Saturday, March 14, 2015

SATURDAY MORNING SUPER HEROES


CBS has released the first images of Melissa Benoist in her 'Supergirl' costume:


I've already reconciled myself to the idea that the Superman to whom she is related is not the one who died back in the 1960s in Earth Prime-Time.  And since there is a lot of online chatter that eventually she will cross over networks to team up with 'Arrow' and 'The Flash', I have also said goodbye to the idea that she would even be in the main Toobworld.

Even so, I'm pumped to see the show.

But it has got me wondering who could have played Supergirl back in the 1950s when 'The Adventures Of Superman' was on the air.  I've already posted my ideas for some of the comic book villains if only the TV show had focused more on those stories rather than on simplistic gangster plots.  (But at least that gave Ben Welden a steady income.....)

As for the villains, I've suggested RG Armstrong for Lex Luthor, Michael Ansara as Brainiac, Michael Rennie as General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk could have been played by the great Billy Barty.  (Here's another one that could have worked - Ed Wynn as the Toyman.)

But those are the villains.  How about Supergirl?


I bopped around the interwebz looking for a young blonde actress from the 1950s who might fit the role and I came up with Cheryl Holdridge.  She may have been too young for the Supergirl we picture today, but a recurring role on 'The Adventures of Superman' might have groomed her for an eventual spin-off of her own.

Oh well.  Only a dream.....

Up, Up, and Away!




No comments: