Tuesday, February 10, 2015

TUESDAY NEWS DAY - THE WHEEL OF "PRIME-TIME"




In order to keep hold of the rights to Robert Jordan's fantasy series of books, "The Wheel Of Time", Red Eagle Entertainment threw together a shabby half hour prologue featuring the characters of Lews Therin and Elan Morin walking around in a shoddily built set spouting inane dialogue at each other, not even TO each other, really.  And then they buried it in an infomercial timeslot they bought at 1:30 in the morning on FXX.

I've never read any of the books in the series, but I thought I'd check it out.  Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have our winner for the worst pilot episode in the 2016 Toobits Awards.

Robert Jordan's widow was not amused by seeing her late husband's vision debased in such a way.  Before the day was out she released this statement:

"This morning brought startling news. A "pilot" for a Wheel of Time series, the "pilot" being called Winter Dragon, had appeared at 1:30 in the morning, East Coast time, on FXX TV, a channel somewhere in the 700s (founded to concentrate on comedy, according to the Washington Post).

It was made without my knowledge or cooperation. I never saw the script. No one associated with Bandersnatch Group, the successor-in-interest to James O. Rigney, was aware of this.

Bandersnatch has an existing contract with Universal Pictures that grants television rights to them until this Wednesday, February 11 – at which point these rights revert to Bandersnatch.

I see no mention of Universal in the "pilot". Nor, I repeat, was Bandersnatch, or Robert Jordan's estate, informed of this in any way.

I am dumbfounded by this occurrence, and am taking steps to prevent its reoccurrence."


Dare you to watch it for yourself?  Here's your chance:


And here's a breakdown of the drek you just watched, to be found at the Observation Deck.


Does it become part of the Toobworld Dynamic?  I wish there was some way to keep it out, but depending on exactly where it should be placed on the Toobworld timeline, I would have to say yes.  Best to just leave it in the far-flung future and forget about it.....

And that's the way it was.....



No comments: