Wednesday, March 3, 2010

LONELY GOLLUM

Toying with the concept of Television as an alternate reality isn't my only interest in Life. I have other hobbies: Elfquest comics, for instance, and urban fantasy stories. And abusing people as my personal playthings.

I'm also a big fan of "The Lord Of The Rings" - the books especially, but also the movies. And while watching/researching the Edward Woodward series 'Callan', I discovered that there was a connection to the Tolkien trilogy.

Russell Hunter played Lonely, a low-life thief who worked for Callan as a snitch. And apparently, Peter Jackson remembered this series from his youth and used Hunter's portrayal of Lonely as the model for the look of Gollum, with the bug eyes, the thin wavering lips, and the sniveling personality. If Hunter knew of this before he died in 2004, I'm hoping he considered the recognition as an honor.

Thinking 'pon how both of them look, I can see the resemblance. But I don't know how much faith I should put in this trivial nugget, since the main source for the info comes from the IMDb.com. Like Wikipedia, any damned fool can add to that site, so this could have been made up just to pull a fast one on people like me.

But still, I like the comparison.

BCnU!

No comments: